Re: [GENERAL] Anyone doing a native NT port?

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Warnock <david(at)sundayta(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: David Heinecke <dheinecke(at)axent(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Anyone doing a native NT port?
Date: 1999-09-27 16:50:54
Lists: pgsql-general

> David,
>
> We could definately use this as we have very similar problems. We would
> love to be able to support Win 9x as well.
>
> If you decide to do this then I will provide from our company least some
> time by one or two people to test and help in non coding ways (we have
> no c skills).

Let me just through up a red flag on this. PostgreSQL uses more Unix
services that most software, and is almost the size/complexity of many
Unix kernels.

This is not going to be easy to do. CygWin works because it is
emulating the Unix things we need on NT. To do a native port, you would
have to translate all our unix service calls to NT-style library calls.