Re: [INTERFACES] esql\c documentation

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Brent Waldrop <waldrop_brent(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] esql\c documentation
Date: 1999-06-14 07:16:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 07:24:52PM -0500, Brent Waldrop wrote:
> Does anyone know where this is thorough esql\c documentation. I am trying to

Unfortunately there is no more than the man page and the sgml file
distributed with PostgreSQL. I just didn't find the time to write more.

> compile previous examples i used with informix and they will not work for
> example when i do
> EXEC SQL declare democursor cursor for
> select fname,lname
> into :fname, :lname
> from employee
> where lname < :oneline;
> ---it bombs at the line with "into" in it saying there is a parse error
> and when i do this EXEC SQL fetch democursor;
> --it tells me that there is another parse error on this line
> is there any better documenation for esql/c than whats available in the
> programming manual so that i can figure out what is going on?

To the best of my knowledge this is incorrect syntax. For instance Oracle
says:

The SELECT statement associated with the cursor cannot include an INTO
clause. Rather, the INTO clause and list of output host variables are
part of the FETCH statement.

I cannot find the text in the standard right now, but there also only FETCH
is listed with INTO.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes | Go SF 49ers!
Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go Rhein Fire!