Re: [INTERFACES] esql\c documentation

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Brent Waldrop <waldrop_brent(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] esql\c documentation
Date: 1999-06-14 07:16:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 07:24:52PM -0500, Brent Waldrop wrote:
> Does anyone know where this is thorough esql\c documentation. I am trying to

Unfortunately there is no more than the man page and the sgml file
distributed with PostgreSQL. I just didn't find the time to write more.

> compile previous examples i used with informix and they will not work for
> example when i do
> EXEC SQL declare democursor cursor for
>  select fname,lname
>  into :fname, :lname
>  from employee
> where lname < :oneline;
> ---it bombs at the line with "into" in it saying there is a parse error
> and when i do this EXEC SQL fetch democursor;
> --it tells me that there is another parse error on this line
> is there any better documenation for esql/c than whats available in the
> programming manual so that i can figure out what is going on?

To the best of my knowledge this is incorrect syntax. For instance Oracle

   The SELECT statement associated with the cursor cannot include an INTO
   clause. Rather, the INTO clause and list of output host variables are
   part of the FETCH statement.

I cannot find the text in the standard right now, but there also only FETCH
is listed with INTO.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Email: Michael(dot)Meskes(at)gmx(dot)net          | Use PostgreSQL!