Re: [INTERFACES] question on accessing PostgreSQL with C

From: Michael Meskes <Michael_Meskes(at)topmail(dot)de>
To: James Thompson <jamest(at)math(dot)ksu(dot)edu>
Cc: hoelc <hoelc(at)pd(dot)jaring(dot)my>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] question on accessing PostgreSQL with C
Date: 1999-02-07 19:03:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 07:16:14PM -0600, James Thompson wrote:
> http://www.dal.ca/%7eoracle/oradoc/DOC/api/doc/PC_22/toc.htm

Gotta look at this.

> With it you end up with something like the following in your code
>
> exec sql
> insert into customer(id,name_first,name_middle,name_last,company,
> address1,address2,city,state,country,zip,phone_work,
> phone_home,phone_fax,email,date_entered,billing_terms,
> confirmation_method)
> values (:id,:name_first, :name_middle, :name_last,
> :company,:address1,:address2,
> :city,:state,:country,:zip,:phone_work,
> :phone_home,:phone_fax,:email,date('now'),
> :billing_terms,
> :confirmation_method);

Xou can even add indicators like in

... values (:id,:name_first, :name_middle:nm_ind, :name_last, ...

If nm_ind is set to -1 the name_middle entry will be set to NULL.

> The author of the code is very responsive to few problem reports I have
> sent him and has sent patches, or workarounds to me usually within 24
> hours.

Glad I can help. :-)

> In the few cases you can't figure out a way to make something happen using
> ecpg I believe you can mix the libpg and ecpg code in the same program.
> The only place I could see a need for this is when you'd need the
> functionality given by Pro*C's Dynamic SQL which ecpg doesn't yet support,
> but I think its in the works.

It is. In fact I already submitted a patch for the PREPARE and EXECUTE
commands. James, if you'd like to test this I can send you the source until
it makes its way into CVS.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes | Go SF 49ers!
Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go Rhein Fire!