Re: [HACKERS] MVCC works in serialized mode!

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: vadim(at)krs(dot)ru (Vadim Mikheev)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] MVCC works in serialized mode!
Date: 1998-12-16 18:00:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 6. I'm not happy with current deadlock detection code!
> It seems that backend does DeadLockCheck each time
> when timer expired - shouldn't this be done _once_,
> before backend is going to sleep ?!

Not sure. Now that I think of it, it makes sense that if I go to sleep,
a deadlock is not sudenly going to appear while I am asleep. If a new
process causes a deadlock, the new process that causes it will see it.

I did not check when I went to sleep because I thought it may be too
cpu-intensive to do checking on every sleep, but now that I remember it,
it may be very trivial in cpu time to do the check on every sleep.

I recommend changing it to do it just before every sleep. Let me know
if you want me to make the change.