Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu (Brook Milligan)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries
Date: 1998-10-09 21:41:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>    I have updated the INSTALL and sgml/INSTALL files to recommend ldconfig
>    on Linux/ELF and any ELF-based system.
>
> It's not an ELF thing!  This applies to any (I think) shared library
> system.  At least I know my NetBSD a.out system uses ldconfig in this
> way.  Your note should be more general.

Yes, I wanted to improve it too.  ELF came with SVr4, and the Linux
mention, while valuable for a large base of users, was misleading to others.

Here is the new text:

 If necessary, tell UNIX how to find your shared libraries.  If you
     are using an ELF-based system, such as Linux, do ONE of the following,
     preferably the first: