Re: [HACKERS] Some items for the TODO list

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tom(at)sdf(dot)com (Tom)
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Some items for the TODO list
Date: 1998-07-09 18:40:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Things I'd like to see get in there before 6.4:
> >
> > 1. On HPUX, the new no-exec method of starting the backend means that
> > all the backends claim to be "postmaster"; there's no way to tell 'em
> > apart via ps(1). There is some code in postgres.c that tries to update
> > the process title information by tweaking the original argv[] array, but
> > that just plain doesn't work under HPUX, nor under quite a few other
> > Unix variants. I'm finding out that not being able to tell which
> > process is which is a real pain in the neck; I don't think it will be
> > acceptable for production use. I think we are going to have to bite the
> > bullet and borrow the process-title-setting code from sendmail --- I
> > know it's ugly, but it *works* on many many Unixes.
>
> Many UNIXes have a setproctitle() function, either in libc or libutil.
> I think a native function should be used if exists.

What is Linux doing with my changes. Do you see all the process names
as postmaster? Do you see the query type displayed as part of the ps
output. We can use setproctitle/sendmail hack to change the process
name from postmaster to postgres, but are these sufficiently quick to
be run for every query to display the query type, i.e. SELECT.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026