Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org (Brett McCormick)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections
Date: 1998-06-03 04:11:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I would love a way to keep track of the connections/attempted
> connections to the postmaster. I'm thinking that when the postmaster
> accept()s a connection, it can just insert a record into a table
> (system catalog or not) with the information, which can be updated
> after the authentication succeeds/fails or whatnot.
>
> something like 'smbstatus' for the samba system.
>
> So, my question is: how should I go about doing this? should I look
> into SPI, which I know nothing about? or, what.. I don't think the
> catalog cache stuff needs to be changed, it isn't as if this info
> needs to be immediately accessible.

Good question. Postmaster does not have access to the system tables, so
it can't access them. You could add a debug option to show it in the
server logs, or add it to the -d2 debug option that already shows SQL
statements.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026