Re: indexing words

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-development)
Subject: Re: indexing words
Date: 1998-04-26 04:05:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hate to bother you again, but do you think you can test speed with
CLUSTER, and have the text indexing packaged up for /contrib by the time
we release 6.4, with beta August 1?

With 6.3.* closed, there is no rush on any of this.

> On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > With the CLUSTER change, are things faster. Can you give me some times?
> > Can you supply some source to put into contrib/?
>
> I did some timing after I clustered the data. However, I remember no
> spectacular speedups. Maybe I remember wrong. I'll do the timings again
> tonight and send them to you. I'd be happy to send sources to be put into
> contrib, but I might need some help cleaning it up so ppl can actually
> *use* it (an easy build, maybe some script to create the correct
> tables/indices for a particular setup etc.)
>
> I also think it would be nice if there was a function that could be
> called to build the index *after* the main table is populated. Might be
> much faster for large tables (but then again, it might not be).
>
> Give me some time (end of the week?), I'm very busy with graduating right
> now :)
>
> Maarten

> | TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems |
> | Department of Electrical Engineering |
> | Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section |
> | M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl |

Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026
+ If your life is a hard drive, | (610) 353-9879(w)
+ Christ can be your backup. | (610) 853-3000(h)