Re: Appended a string of text to each line in a file

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: henry(at)zoo(dot)utoronto(dot)ca (Henry Spencer)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-development)
Subject: Re: Appended a string of text to each line in a file
Date: 1998-02-23 19:44:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Let me add that I have found GNU sed version 1.* to be often 2-3 times
> > faster then BSD sed, so it may not be sed itself, but the BSD
> > implementation.
>
> That one's probably my fault. BSD's regex(3) routines, which I think its
> sed uses, are the ones I did for 4.4BSD... and they're an alpha release
> and are a trifle slow. :-) There is hope for a better set in the near
> future, however.
>
> Henry Spencer
> henry(at)zoo(dot)toronto(dot)edu

Henry, I am CC'ing this to the PostgreSQL group. (See
www.postgresql.org for more info.) Hey folks, guess who wrote our regex
stuff.

Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994 Henry Spencer. All rights reserved.

Henry, will the new code you write be in the public domain, or only part
of BSDI? Would you recommend we replace our regex stuff with something
else? Do you have any patches you would like us to test?

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us