Re: Warning compiling pg_dump (MinGW, Windows XP)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Golub <pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Warning compiling pg_dump (MinGW, Windows XP)
Date: 2011-01-17 20:11:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 2011/1/13 Pavel Golub <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com>:
>> pg_dump.c: In function 'dumpSequence':
>> pg_dump.c:11449:2: warning: unknown conversion type character 'l' in format
>> pg_dump.c:11449:2: warning: too many arguments for format

> It seems like PGAC_FUNC_SNPRINTF_LONG_LONG_INT_FORMAT is getting the
> wrong answer on your machine, though I'm not sure why.

That configure check tests whether snprintf produces the right result at
runtime. It doesn't check whether the compiler will generate a warning
about it. It looks to me like Pavel has a compiler that is out of sync
with his libc; which is a platform configuration mistake that he needs
to fix.

Another possibility is that configure chose to not use the system
snprintf at all, in which case %lld is the correct syntax to use but gcc
might well have some different expectation. Without seeing the
config.log results it's hard to be sure about that one; but in any case
it's hard to credit that there are any modern machines where snprintf
can't handle long long int, so this still suggests a platform problem.