Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date: 2010-06-30 23:16:23
Lists: pgsql-docs

> Rafael Martinez wrote:
>> I am sending you a proposal with 13 diagrams to include in the manual so
>> we can get an idea of how it will be. If it gets approved I will spend
>> more time creating and including other diagrams and improving the build
>> process for including figures into the manual.

> Great!

Where are the DIA sources for these? It's impossible to evaluate how
maintainable these will be without seeing the source code.

>> If this proposal gets accepted we should work with:
>> - - Automatic generation of PNG files from DIA source under the build
>> process of the manual.

> I don't think we want to require dia to build the docs, so we are going
> to keep the dia and png files in CVS.

Yeah, probably, at least for the first go-round.

> Also, there are two images that need to be updated for every major
> release; is that something we want to commit to doing?

-1 on that. The timeline thing is *certainly* not worth the maintenance
effort, if indeed it even belongs in the docs at all (it looks more like
marketing material). I think the lines-of-code diagram is not worth its
keep either.

One minor comment is that the page_layout diagram should say BLCKSZ not
8K, and the different-colored arrows in it don't really convey much ---
they need on-image labeling I think.