Re: [HACKERS] HPUX 10.01 build issues and solutions.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mschout(at)gkg(dot)net
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] HPUX 10.01 build issues and solutions.
Date: 1998-10-30 21:38:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mschout(at)gkg(dot)net writes:
> hpux 10.01 does not define SA_RESTART at all (10.20 does, but 10.01
> does not).

Hmm. I wonder if we'd be better off to treat 10.01 as being like HPUX 9?
I think the choice between posix and non-posix signals is the main
difference that we care about...

> Secondly, lex on hpux 10.01 has problems as well.

A lot of systems have inadequate lexes installed. There is supposed to
be a test early in the install to see if your lex is up to snuff (and if
not it'll tell you to get flex). Either that's not working, or ecpg is
exercising some new stuff that the test doesn't check for. I don't know
enough about lex to try to improve the test --- anyone care to work on
that?

> It would be nice if there was a --disable-libpq++ rule for configure
> that would allow you to specify that you did not want to use it.

There is, it's spelled "--without-CXX". This needs to be documented
better, but we're working on the install doc even now.

> And possibly something similar like --with-flex=/opt/gnu/bin/flex to
> override the choice of /usr/bin/flex (maybe these already exist??).

configure will select flex in preference to lex if it finds flex in your
PATH --- and if you have more than one flex in your PATH, the first one
gets picked. Perhaps you just needed to re-run configure with an
appropriate PATH? Alternatively, you can force the choice by setting
the LEX and LEXLIB environment variables before running configure (also
undocumented I fear).

Finally, there's always the option of editing Makefile.global
afterwards. Right now it can be a bit tedious to look through all the
files that configure emits, but we're going to try to consolidate the
configuration decisions into just a couple of files in future releases.

(BTW, hackers, I think this is an excellent example of why hand-editable
configure output is a good thing. It's not that Mike *couldn't* have
persuaded configure to do what he needed, it's that it's not always so
obvious how to do that ... and editing the resulting Makefile.global
might be a lot easier than figuring out how to make configure do the
right thing.)