Re: Compiler warning cleanup - unitilized const variables, pointer type mismatch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compiler warning cleanup - unitilized const variables, pointer type mismatch
Date: 2009-05-29 16:17:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> Tom Lane pe v t 28. 05. 2009 v 11:42 -0400:
>> The proposed signature change on psql_completion
>> is going to replace a warning on your system with outright failures on
>> other people's.

> I check readline and definition is still same at least from 5.0 version.
> I'm not still understand why it should failure on other systems. I
> looked on revision 1.30 of the file and there is only readline-4.2
> support mentioned. Is readline 4.2 the problem?

[ pokes around... ] Actually I think the reason it's like this is that
very old versions of readline have completion_matches() rather than
rl_completion_matches(), and the former is declared to take char * not
const char *. So it still would compile, you'd just get cast-away-const
warnings. Which is probably okay considering that hardly anyone is
likely to still be using such old readline libs anyway.

We could try experimenting with that after we branch for 8.5. I'm not
eager to fool with it in late beta, as we'd be invalidating any port
testing already done.