Re: Exclude constraint problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Zepeda <zipzippy(at)sonic(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Exclude constraint problem
Date: 2010-08-30 23:40:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 14:05 -0700, Alex Zepeda wrote:
>> I dumped a table with an exclude constraint with pg_dump, and loaded it
>> into another instance of postgres where it promptly failed to create the
>> constraint. The complaint was... key conflicts with key. IOW,
>> duplicate data.

> If you dump a floating-point value, and then reload it, it may be
> different than the one you started with.

That's really *not* supposed to happen, assuming that both machines have
IEEE float arithmetic and competently written float I/O code.

My own WAG is that we're talking about a GiST bug that causes it to
recognize or not recognize duplicates depending on order of insertion.
But that's theorizing far in advance of the data.

> If you are not using floating point values, please try to make a
> self-contained test case that includes data that can reproduce the
> problem.

Yeah, a test case would be awfully helpful here.