Re: DST question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Wright, George" <George(dot)Wright(at)infimatic(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DST question
Date: 2007-10-01 18:09:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Wright, George" <George(dot)Wright(at)infimatic(dot)com> writes:
> I am trying to get Daylight Savings Time working for the EAST Brazilian
> time zone. In Brazil for 2007, the DST change occurs on Oct. 13-14.

You need a newer version of the zic timezone database. Way newer --- it
looks to me like the first version of the zic files that knows the above
rules is 2007h, which was released today. You'd need to grab
ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2007h.tar.gz, feed it through zic,
and put the files into place in the Postgres installation tree.

<rant>
Suggestion: lobby your politicians to set DST transition dates more than
just a month in advance. Or even (heaven forbid) have a law that stays
the same for years at a time. Don't they realize that people have
better things to do than scramble to update their equipment at the last
minute?
</rant>