Re: Recovering a database in danger of transaction wrap-around

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steven Rosenstein <srosenst(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recovering a database in danger of transaction wrap-around
Date: 2008-01-25 21:14:06
Lists: pgsql-admin
Steven Rosenstein <srosenst(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com> writes:
> I used plain old VACUUM.  Do you think VACUUM FULL might be faster or more
> effective?

No.  I think you probably want to do a dump and reload, but first you
have to get past the anti-wraparound check.

One possibility I hadn't thought of before is to use a standalone
backend to increment the pg_database.datfrozenxid values by a few
thousand transactions.  This would be a bad idea if you intended
to keep using the DB, but if you're just trying to get to a state
where you can run pg_dump, it seems acceptable.