Re: compiling pg 7.0.3 on sco 5.0.5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Billy G(dot) Allie" <bga(at)mug(dot)org>
Cc: "Arno A(dot) Karner" <karner(at)tnss(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: compiling pg 7.0.3 on sco 5.0.5
Date: 2000-12-04 06:00:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Billy G. Allie" <bga(at)mug(dot)org> writes:
> ... The DISABLE_COMPLEX_MACRO definition was originally put in to work
> around a macro size limitation of the UnixWare 2.1 C compiler (and
> later the SCO UDK (Universal Development Kit)).  If the gnu C compiler
> is being used it should not be defined.

Hm.  Is anyone likely to still be using a version of that compiler that
still has such limitations?

I ask because we recently pulled "#define DISABLE_COMPLEX_MACRO" from
port/sco.h, on the grounds that various people were seeing more harm
than good from it.  But I'm suddenly wondering whether those people
might've been using gcc.  I wonder if

	#ifndef __GNUC__
	#define DISABLE_COMPLEX_MACRO
	#endif

in port/sco.h would be the smart way to go.