Re: How to use views&rules to dynamically choose which table to update

From: Ashley Moran <work(at)ashleymoran(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to use views&rules to dynamically choose which table to update
Date: 2006-04-01 00:07:59
Lists: pgsql-general
On Apr 01, 2006, at 12:57 am, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> What should it do if you try to insert something that is neither
> french
> nor english? I think an unconditional instead nothing rule might work
> to supplement the two conditional ones if doing nothing is okay, but I
> haven't tried.

Wahey!  The empty unconditional insert fixed it.  I never cease to be
amazed with the stuff postgres can do when it's properly trained.

If the data is not english or french, (or in the real case, a car,
van or bike etc) it's garbage and can be discarded, so I'm happy with
this.  It will only used for internal testing anyway.

Thank you both for your time reading my very cryptic question :)

Ashley