Re: XML ouput for psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XML ouput for psql
Date: 2003-03-06 00:16:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> I also think that psql is not the place to implement something like this.

Agreed.

> It's most likely best put in the backend, as a function like
> xmlfoo('select * from t1;')

That seems a little bizarre. Wouldn't we want to have a switch that
just flips the SELECT output format from one style to the other?

This is also a good time to stop and ask whether the frontend/backend
protocol needs to change to support this. Not having read the spec,
I have no idea what the low-level transport needs are for XML output,
but I suspect our present protocol is not it ...