Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?
Date: 2010-01-07 22:45:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On tor, 2010-01-07 at 22:16 +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:
>> Is there any reason not to add .gitignore files into the repository?

> I already find the .cvsignore files to be useless and an annoyance to
> keep up to date (well, I basically ignore them and someone else cleans
> up after me),

When/if we move off CVS, we should drop the .cvsignore files and insert
.gitignore (assuming that works the same way). I am not in favor of
expecting the core project to maintain support for non-core SCMs though.
Will we have .bzrignore and who knows what else in there too?

As Peter points out, the only way the things will get maintained is if
the complaints they suppress are in-the-face of somebody with commit
access to the core repo. I like quiet from my "cvs update"s, so I'm
willing to maintain .cvsignores, but I'm not willing to maintain
multiple copies of that information.