Re: [HACKERS] encoded communincation bw Backend and Libpq frontend?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zsolt Varga <redax(at)agria(dot)hu>
Cc: PostgreSQL hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] encoded communincation bw Backend and Libpq frontend?
Date: 1998-10-30 15:34:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zsolt Varga <redax(at)agria(dot)hu> writes:
> is there any idea to make crypted communication between the backend and
> the frontend ?

I don't think there's any need for us to add that to Postgres. You
should be able to set it up right now using ssh (if you don't have ssh,
see http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh). Free bonus: ssh can apply data
compression to the link as well.

I've never actually used ssh to forward non-telnet TCP connections,
so I'm not sure exactly what you have to type to set it up. If you
work out the details, would you make a little writeup to be added to
the Postgres documentation? That would save time for other people
in the future.