Re: [HACKERS] encoded communincation bw Backend and Libpq frontend?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zsolt Varga <redax(at)agria(dot)hu>
Cc: PostgreSQL hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] encoded communincation bw Backend and Libpq frontend?
Date: 1998-10-30 15:34:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Zsolt Varga <redax(at)agria(dot)hu> writes:
> is there any idea to make crypted communication between the backend and
> the frontend ?

I don't think there's any need for us to add that to Postgres.  You
should be able to set it up right now using ssh (if you don't have ssh,
see  Free bonus: ssh can apply data
compression to the link as well.

I've never actually used ssh to forward non-telnet TCP connections,
so I'm not sure exactly what you have to type to set it up.  If you
work out the details, would you make a little writeup to be added to
the Postgres documentation?  That would save time for other people
in the future.