Re: A script to make some bug report easier

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A script to make some bug report easier
Date: 2005-10-27 13:48:48
Lists: pgsql-patches
Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu> writes:
> I wrote a small script to make PostgreSQL bug report easier. It prints the
> uname, pg_config and try to backtrace all core dumps in data directory.

Does that actually work?  On most of the platforms I use, gdb doesn't
get far with only a core file, you have to tell it which executable file
to reference.  Worse, many distros ship executables stripped, which
means gdb'ing is a pretty useless activity anyway.

A bigger problem is that we've largely stopped shipping shell scripts as
part of the distro, because they don't work on Windows.