Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Held" <dave(dot)held(at)arrayservicesgrp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :)
Date: 2005-04-22 22:16:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Dave Held" <dave(dot)held(at)arrayservicesgrp(dot)com> writes:
>> I suspect most people here are already well aware of the
>> advantages and disadvantages of C++.

> That's where we disagree. In my experience, most C++ programmers
> know C, but most C programmers only know C++ through second-hand
> knowledge. And this community has already professed a fairly
> thorough commitment to C.

FWIW, I was doing development in C++ full-time for most of the 90's.
So it's not like I'm not reasonably familiar with the benefits.
And yeah, if we were starting from scratch I'd probably say C++ is
a good choice. But the price of getting there from here is higher
than the value of being there, IMHO.