Re: Thoughts on multiple simultaneous code page support

From: "Randall Parker" <randall(at)nls(dot)net>
To: "Tatsuo Ishii" <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, "tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au" <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on multiple simultaneous code page support
Date: 2000-06-22 18:14:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Well, to me at least the term character set does not define a mapping or encoding. It just specifies a list of characters and their numeric representations or mappings not included.

To say "character set mapping" or "character set encoding" might be more complete. Though I tend to use the term "code page" because that's what I've heard the most down thru the years.

If someone here wants to suggest a particular terminology to use I'd be happy to adopt it in this list.