Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Liraz Siri <liraz(at)turnkeylinux(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]
Date: 2008-12-09 17:34:02
Lists: pgsql-www

> However there is one big problem, the YUM repository and the EDB one
> click installers are very popular and provide a big service to our
> community.

> Do we really want to relegate them to the sundries of a secondary page?

To me the critical point is that those are produced by people we know
who are at least reasonably accountable to the PG community. While I
don't wish to sound like I'm badmouthing the Turnkey folk, we don't have
any basis to believe that, for instance, they'll provide security
updates promptly. (In fact, given that none of them are on
pgsql-packagers, we can be quite sure that they'll be somewhat behind
the curve for such things.)

I'm not entirely sure what the guidelines for listing on our downloads
page ought to be, but I think we should have some. At minimum a
representative on pgsql-packagers.