Re: Returning data from function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Sharon Cowling" <sharon(dot)cowling(at)sslnz(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Returning data from function
Date: 2001-11-01 04:19:40
Lists: pgsql-novice
"Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
>> I need to recieve parameters and return a resultset.

> This functionality does not currently work in PostgreSQL.

It's not so much that "it doesn't work" as that "plpgsql doesn't support
it".  Returning rowsets does work for SQL-language functions; not that
that's much help if you need a procedural language to do the
computations.  It's also possible to do it in C-coded functions
(a fortiori, since after all the whole system is in C).  But again that
might not be your preferred development medium.

FWIW, I've recently updated the description of SQL functions to clarify
(I hope) what works and does not work in this area.  See the devel docs
at http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/xfunc-sql.html.
The docs are devel, but the features described have all been there since
Berkeley days...