Re: [HACKERS] how solve diff of API counstruct_md_array between

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] how solve diff of API counstruct_md_array between
Date: 2006-02-28 18:30:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> It's partially redundant, but only partially, and I agree that it'll
>> probably be easier for people to use than the catversion number.

> Also, that macro block where Joe Conway compared catalog version numbers
> and defined understandable macro names cried out for a solution.

It's worth pointing out here that catversion was only intended to be
useful within a development cycle, ie, to prevent developers from
wasting time chasing pseudo-bugs that were really due to mismatch of
their newly compiled backend executable with not-so-new system catalog
contents. We never intended any code to depend on its specific value,
else we'd have used a definition with more mnemonic content than a
date-stamp.