Re: connectivity to database been an issue for me.

From: Morus Walter <morus(dot)walter(at)tanto(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Subject: Re: connectivity to database been an issue for me.
Date: 2005-03-31 08:11:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Joel Fradkin writes:
> Hi,
>

> We are in development stage of implementing postgres.
>
> Our data center is in Tampa and we are in Bardenton and I am using DSL at my
> office (384 up, 1.5 down).
>
> Data center is 2 meg ea way.
>
> When I use pgadmin to connect it is ok, but as soon as I do any querry that
> has much data I get disconeected.
>
> I was able to test pinging an outside web page (yahoo.com) and could see as
> soon as I start the transimission from a query in pgadmin the pinging gets
> disrupted (also I lose the connection to pgadmin).
>

> I am thinking of T1 to data center (but is like 600 a month) or even upping
> the office to breakfreee which is pretty cheap and is 2 mb ea way.
>
> Before I spend $ I thought I would ask if there are any tools less subject
> to disconnect from temporary connection loss?
>
> If any one else experienced the same type of issues and what they did to
> resolve the issue.

As others already pointed out, this is likely to be a networking problem
that has nothing to do with postgresql.

What comes in my mind regarding DSL is that a common error is to use
a too large MTU. Since there is some repackaging of network packets in
the ppp over ethernet protocol, one needs to make sure that the raw packages
are small enough to allow for the overhead.
Otherwise the effect is, that small packages (e.g. your ping) pass, while
large packages hang the connection.
Don't ask me for details of the configuration, I do that ~ once every two
years (on linux).

Morus