Re: expanding on syslog help

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: expanding on syslog help
Date: 2003-09-30 06:25:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Would there be objections to me expanding on the syslog
> sections in the docs?

No, but ...

> # Log all 'postgres' events to /var/log/pgsql
> !postgres
> *.* /var/log/pgsql
> # Nothing after this line applies to 'postgres'
> !-postgres
> "

This example seems not portable in the least; AFAICT neither syntax that
you show is accepted by HPUX's syslogd, for example.

> * Mention that you might want to turn log_pid and log_timestamp off
> since syslog logs them anyway

Check.

> * Mention something about system log rotator? Or is that too
> platform-specific?

I think it's reasonable to suggest that syslogd might not solve the
problem all by itself. Dunno if we can give better advice than "read
your local syslogd man page".