Planned pgsql-release mailing list for PG packagers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-02-04 06:28:42
Lists: pgsql-announce

The core committee has been thinking about the problems we've had
recently in coordinating Postgres releases. It's not enough any
longer to create source tarballs: there are many downstream releases
such as the Windows installer, RPMs, .debs, etc. We need to be able
to organize things so that all these formats are available pretty
quickly after a major release or a security update. The problem is
especially acute for security updates, because our normal open
discussion process is really not appropriate there.

What we are thinking about doing is setting up a closed,
not-publicly-archived "pgsql-release" mailing list. This will be
a very low-traffic list dedicated to organizing upcoming releases.
Membership will be restricted to the core committee and people who
are directly responsible for packaging commonly-used versions of
Postgres. Due to the necessity to discuss security problems that
aren't yet public, we intend to keep it pretty darn tightly held.

If you think you should be on this new mailing list, please let
us know at pgsql-core at postgresql.org.

regards, tom lane