Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Ensure age() returns a stable value rather than the latest value

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Ensure age() returns a stable value rather than the latest value
Date: 2012-05-29 19:00:02
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On mn, 2012-05-14 at 15:11 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> (In any case, my primary beef at the moment is not with whether it's a
>> good idea to change age()'s behavior going forward, but rather with
>> having back-patched such a change.)

> Certainly we should leave it alone there.

With back-branch update releases due to be made this week, we need to
decide what if anything we're going to do about changing this.
I have no particular complaint with what Simon's done in HEAD, but
back-patching it was not wise IMO. I think we should just revert the
patches in the back branches and go back to the way it was before
(complete with failures on slave servers).