Re: Moving pg_autovacuum from contrib to src/bin

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving pg_autovacuum from contrib to src/bin
Date: 2004-05-29 06:15:34
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
> As outlined in my email, step 1 is to move pg_autovacuum from contrib to
> src/bin. Attached is a patch that modifies src/bin/Makefile and the
> pg_autovacuum Makefile which will be in src/bin/pg_autovacuum/Makefile
> once the pg_autovacuum directory is moved.

Um, you didn't actually attach the patch ... but in any case this is not
the direction I would have expected. An integrated autovacuum daemon
would certainly not live in src/bin. It would be a module within the
postgres executable, most likely living within src/backend/postmaster
since that seems to be where we're putting integrated postmaster children.

(To clarify: that's where the pgstat daemon is now, and that's where I'm
about to put the bgwriter daemon, so if anyone thinks this is clearly
the wrong place then now would be a good time to mention it...)