Re: actualized SQL/PSM patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: actualized SQL/PSM patch
Date: 2008-04-01 21:55:45
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I actualized sql/psm patch. This patch can be downloaded from
> http://www.pgsql.cz/patches/plpgpsm.diff.gz

The fundamental problem I've got with this patch is that it adds 400K
of new code (and that's just the code, not counting documentation or
regression tests) that we'll have to maintain, to obtain a feature that
so far as I've heard there is precisely zero demand for.

The duplicativeness of the code with plpgsql doesn't make this prospect
any more pleasant, either.

The idea would be a lot easier to swallow if the code were refactored
to avoid the duplication with plpgsql.