Re: Re: Link to bug webpage

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Link to bug webpage
Date: 2001-08-28 04:06:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> The fundamental problem with bug tracking has been that the available
> tools do not fit with our obviously successful mailing-list centered
> development process. I certainly would consider it a distraction to
> consult that tool to be able to participate in development.

As usual, Thomas cuts to the heart of the matter ...

The above is an accurate statement of the problem from a developer point
of view.  ISTM that what we're missing is a window into the process for
people who are not following the mailing lists.  While we have archives,
searching the archives is not a great answer for a number of reasons
(most notably that there's no mechanism to ensure that closure of a bug
is recorded in the same thread(s) that report it).

The trick for a bug database will be to provide a more coherent view
without being a drag on our proven development process.