Re: Log rotation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Log rotation
Date: 2004-03-13 03:32:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Did anything ever come from this thread?
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-05/msg00603.php
> (Heading: "Plan B for log rotation support: borrow Apache code")

Only an entry on my depressingly long personal to-do list :-(

I did take a look at the Apache rotator program, and found that it was
probably more trouble to adopt than it's worth. It seemed to depend on
a lot of configuration and library-routine infrastructure that we don't
share. (No big surprise; I suppose someone trying to pull out a random
bit of our backend code would be at least as unhappy.) I suspect it
would be less trouble, as well as legalistically cleaner, to write our
own from scratch.

Andrew Sullivan offered Afilias' rotator script awhile back also.
I think that works fine if you like a Perl script.