Re: BUG #2263: corrupted pgstat.stat file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "" <bug1(at)route66(dot)ro>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2263: corrupted pgstat.stat file
Date: 2006-02-15 17:39:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"" <bug1(at)route66(dot)ro> writes:
> I upgraded from 8.1.2 to 8.1.3 without dumping (was not required). After
> starting I got this error in the logs:

> LOG: corrupted pgstat.stat file

> What should I do?

Ignore it. We changed the format of the pgstat file between 8.1.2 and
8.1.3.

* src/: backend/commands/vacuum.c, backend/postmaster/autovacuum.c,
backend/postmaster/pgstat.c, backend/storage/smgr/smgr.c,
include/pgstat.h (REL8_1_STABLE): Modify pgstats code to reduce
performance penalties from oversized stats data files: avoid
creating stats hashtable entries for tables that aren't being
touched except by vacuum/analyze, ensure that entries for dropped
tables are removed promptly, and tweak the data layout to avoid
storing useless struct padding. Also improve the performance of
pgstat_vacuum_tabstat(), and make sure that autovacuum invokes it
exactly once per autovac cycle rather than multiple times or not at
all. This should cure recent complaints about 8.1 showing much
higher stats I/O volume than was seen in 8.0. It'd still be a good
idea to revisit the design with an eye to not re-writing the entire
stats dataset every half second ... but that would be too much to
backpatch, I fear.