Re: Get docs for contrib on the web somewhere

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Get docs for contrib on the web somewhere
Date: 2006-03-18 07:00:03
Lists: pgsql-docs

"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 04:19:58PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
>> Could we require contrib authors to provide their documentation as sgml, and
>> then have the doc build process loop in each contrib module as an appendix
>> inside the official docs?

> Can't we just copy the text files over somewhere?

I think the entire point of contrib is that it's "not ready for prime
time" code, and one of the ways in which it's likely to be not ready
is not having sgml-format documentation.

If someone wants to step up and do the work to convert the existing
contrib doc files to sgml, I certainly won't stand in the way --- but
I'm not prepared to remove contrib entries just because they don't have
sgml-format docs.