Re: BUG #5753: Existing Functions No Longer Work

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: vince maxey <vamax27(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5753: Existing Functions No Longer Work
Date: 2010-11-16 17:31:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs
vince maxey <vamax27(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> My functions all worked prior to switching to 9.0 and I can excute functions
> from the pgAdminIII UI which return an individual result, such as an integer,
> but cannot test/troubleshoot those which use refcursors in the same manner; and
> they are not working within my application. They used to work.

That's basically impossible to believe, because the behavior on this
point didn't change.  There are certainly some incompatibilities between
9.0 and previous releases, but nothing about refcursor-returning
functions specifically; and AFAICT the example functions you provided
work just the same in 9.0 as before.  So I think you're barking up the
wrong tree and the issue is something else than you think.

Perhaps you could put together a complete test case (not just the
function, but including its call) that works in 8.4 and not in 9.0?

BTW, if the gripe is specifically about what happens in the pgAdmin UI,
another possible explanation is that pgAdmin changed.  Can you reproduce
a change of behavior using just psql?