Re: effective_io_concurrency with an SSD SAN?

From: Samrat Revagade <revagade(dot)samrat(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: effective_io_concurrency with an SSD SAN?
Date: 2013-08-26 13:32:58
Lists: pgsql-general
>Given a system with 32 cores, an SSD SAN with 48x drives, and 2x 8Gbps
>paths from the server to the SAN, what would be a good starting point
>to set effective_io_concurrency?  I currently have it set to 32, but I
>kind of feel like the right setting would be "2" since we have two
>paths.  We don't often saturate both links but it does happen from
>time to time.

One assumption about optimal value is that, it is usually the number of data
drives participating in the I/O system excluding the parity drives.
here is the article about setting it in Postgres Plus Advanced Server.
Have a look at it if you find it useful for normal PostgreSQL setup:

Samrat Revagade,
NTT DATA OSS Center Pune, India.

Sent from the PostgreSQL - general mailing list archive at