Re: 16-bit page checksums for 9.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 16-bit page checksums for 9.2
Date: 2011-12-24 14:46:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> After the various recent discussions on list, I present what I believe
> to be a working patch implementing 16-but checksums on all buffer
> pages.

I think locking around hint-bit-setting is likely to be unworkable from
a performance standpoint. I also wonder whether it might not result in
deadlocks.

Also, as far as I can see this patch usurps the page version field,
which I find unacceptably short-sighted. Do you really think this is
the last page layout change we'll ever make?