Re: Where to call SetQuerySnapshot

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where to call SetQuerySnapshot
Date: 2002-10-08 17:21:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I said:
> ... So I had
> been thinking of pulling it out to postgres.c anyway. I will do that.

I did this and ended up with a rather long list of statement types that
might need a snapshot:

elog(DEBUG2, "ProcessUtility");

/* set snapshot if utility stmt needs one */
/* XXX maybe cleaner to list those that shouldn't set one? */
if (IsA(utilityStmt, AlterTableStmt) ||
IsA(utilityStmt, ClusterStmt) ||
IsA(utilityStmt, CopyStmt) ||
IsA(utilityStmt, ExecuteStmt) ||
IsA(utilityStmt, ExplainStmt) ||
IsA(utilityStmt, IndexStmt) ||
IsA(utilityStmt, PrepareStmt) ||
IsA(utilityStmt, ReindexStmt))
SetQuerySnapshot();

(Anything that can call the planner or might create entries in
functional indexes had better set a snapshot, thus stuff like
ReindexStmt has the issue.)

I wonder if we should turn this around, and set a snapshot for all
utility statements that can't show cause why they don't need one.
Offhand, TransactionStmt, FetchStmt, and VariableSet/Show/Reset
might be the only ones that need be excluded. Comments?