Re: 9.2rc1 build requirements

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.2rc1 build requirements
Date: 2012-08-31 01:14:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com> writes:
> > As an aside, I installed jade (on Debian) and tried to make world but
> > got several errors, starting with the following:
>
> > jade -wall -wno-unused-param -wno-empty -wfully-tagged -D . -D . -d
> > stylesheet.dsl -t sgml -i output-html -V html-index postgres.sgml
> > jade:E: unknown warning type "fully-tagged"
>
> FWIW, that suggests that this version of jade is too old. I'm not sure
> that jade per se (as opposed to the successor project openjade) can be
> used to build our docs at all --- you should check whether this is
> openjade, or really the original project.

This is a bit bizarre, actually. His problem is that the old version of
jade doesn't understand the -wfully-tagged warning option. But the
comment in the Makefile says

# -wfully-tagged needed to throw a warning on missing tags
# for older tool chains, 2007-08-31

AFAICT, the desirable effect of all these options together is to warn
about empty start tags, but only openjade supports -wfully-tagged, and
even the most recent version needs it to produce that warning.

Of course there could have been intermediate versions that I don't have
access to right now.