Re: 1.16 beta 1 ?

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 1.16 beta 1 ?
Date: 2012-05-07 07:55:28
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:20 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Even after reading the whole thread on pgsql-hackers, I don't understand
> > if they're going to release the beta this week or anytime soon. Anyway,
>
> The plan is beta1 before pgcon.
>

> > if we want to release our beta at the same time, we need to know that a
> > bit ahead so that we can push the database designer on its own branch,
> > and drop it from master?
>
> There's about a week of warning at this point, provided the schedule
> for the main project holds.
>

> > BTW, has anyone a strong opinion on how we should do this?
>
> Not really...

I think the best way would be to:

 * create a patch from all the new files, and all the changes brought by
   the database designer ;
 * drop all this stuff from master ;
 * commit it (but don't push it) ;
 * create the new branch ;
 * apply the patch on this branch ;
 * commit it (but don't push it) ;
 * check everything works fine in master and the new branch ;
 * push both branches if it works.

I understand that the first step will be the harder one. The good thing
is that the database designer is pretty well self-contained. Apart from
an icon on frmMain and some options in the command line, there are no
other changes. At least, IIRC. BTW, "best way" really means "best way I
could imagine". I don't have the git-fu knowledge of Magnus.

Another question: how should we name to new branch? database_designer
would be my choice as it is self-explaining, maybe a bit verbose. Any
objection?

I can start working on this this week. The simpler would be tomorrow for
me because I don't have to work tomorrow.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info