Re: initdb and fsync

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb and fsync
Date: 2012-01-28 18:16:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 10:31 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I'm curious what problem we're actually solving here, though. I've run
> the buildfarm countless thousands of times on different VMs, and five of
> my seven current animals run in VMs, and I don't think I've ever seen a
> failure ascribable to inadequately synced files from initdb.

I believe I have seen such a problem second hand in a situation where
the VM was known to be killed harshly (not sure if you do that
regularly).

It's a little difficult for me to _prove_ that this would have solved
the problem, and I think it was only observed once (though I could
probably reproduce it if I tried). The symptom was a log message
indicating that PG_VERSION was missing or corrupt on a system that was
previously started and online (albeit briefly for a test).

Regards,
Jeff Davis