Re: Debian upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1?

From: Dagan <mail(dot)list(at)pro(dot)geek(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debian upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1?
Date: 2011-10-26 14:10:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 14:06 +0200, Jean-Yves F. Barbier wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:40:03 +1300
> Dagan <mail(dot)list(at)pro(dot)geek(dot)nz> wrote:

> > Is there a best-practice for upgrading from one version to another?
> > Do I need to manually dump the database from 9.0, and import into 9.1?
>
> Debian supplies a special script for that, read the ... docs.

I found mention on Google about Debian's wrapper scripts, the man page
for pg_upgradecluster isn't so helpful explaining what it's doing.

I ran pg_upgradecluster, it complained the cluster already existed -
the install created a new 9.1 'main' when it installed.

So the process was to do the following:

1) # pg_dropcluster --stop 9.1 main
2) check any applications accessing postgresql are stopped
3) # pg_upgradecluster -v 9.1 9.0 main

Then check my applications worked accessing the database, which they
did.

cheers,
Dagan