Re: PGSQL and Nested Loops

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL and Nested Loops
Date: 2005-09-06 01:05:50
Lists: pgsql-novice
<operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> since he's a cut and paste sql writer, i may have
> jumped the gun since he may be doing everying wrong
> and then complaining pgsql isn't as efficient as a
> wrong to do things.  ;-)

> anyway, *if* his point is valid, i'd appreciate input.

With no specifics as to what he was doing, it's impossible to evaluate
whether the complaint is valid or not.  I don't say he lied about the
times he observed, but there's no way to tell if it's a stupid query
design, failure to configure/tune the database properly, or a genuine
Postgres performance issue --- much less whether any such issue has
been fixed later.

I would translate the complaint as follows: "I know about SQL Server
and I can't be bothered to learn about Postgres".  Pretty much a
self-fulfilling prophecy, eh?