Re: pgsql-server: Update that 8.0 will support MS Win

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: Update that 8.0 will support MS Win
Date: 2004-08-26 04:51:57
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

> Agreed, but we just found NT problems today too. The only argument I
> can accept is that somehow platform bugs are harder to discover than our
> other code bugs.

The point isn't that they're harder to discover or not, it's that they
are new. 8.0 as a whole will have plenty of bugs that we will not find
till after release :-( (not happy about that statement, but it's a fact).
But we can be pretty certain that most of the bugs affecting Unix
platforms will be generic cross-platform bugs that also fail on the
Windows port. On *top* of those issues, the Windows port will have its
own problems. It's the merest wishful thinking to suppose that the
Windows port will be as stable as the longer-established ports. I do
not say that it won't or can't get there ... but I do say that it won't
happen on day zero, and we ought to be forthright about admitting that.

> My concern is that I would like to have some actual facts before making
> statements. I am not good on going on guesses, I guess. :-)

Wake up and smell the flowers, Bruce. There is plenty of evidence for
my position already in the pgsql-bugs archives, including the latest
item that I pointed you to just up-thread. You are being deliberately
clueless.

> What text are people suggesting? "This is a new port and might have
> bugs that will be fixed in minor releases?" Or, "This port is
> experimental and you would be crazy to use it in production"? :-)

I'd go for (b) ;-) ... but then again I think anyone would be crazy to
use Windows for production anytime ;-). But whatever your opinion on
that, it would be irresponsible not to point out that this is a new port
that is certain to have more than its share of problems.