MDTFATAL: could note create log file . . . permission denied

From: Pyrogerg <gregory(dot)penn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: MDTFATAL: could note create log file . . . permission denied
Date: 2011-04-19 02:47:08
Lists: pgsql-novice
After many more hours than it would've taken someone more competent, I
finally have postgresql 9.0 installed on my Mac (OS 10.6). Now I'm trying to
start the server and create a test database, but I've run into a problem . .
.

gpennhost:data postgres$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data -l logfile start
server starting
gpennhost:data postgres$ createdb test
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to
server: No such file or directory
gpennhost:data postgres$

I've looked at the config file, and verified that the port defaults to 5432,
but I don't know what else to do. I've spent 10 hours today getting to this
point, and searching this forum and others hasn't turned up a solution. If
you have advice on how to proceed, please keep in mind that I am very new to
this.

Thanks in advance.