Re: Full Vacuum/Reindex vs autovacuum

From: Jason Long <jason(at)octgsoftware(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full Vacuum/Reindex vs autovacuum
Date: 2011-02-28 19:48:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 16:23 -0700, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Jason Long <jason(at)octgsoftware(dot)com> wrote:

> >> One question, why?

> >> Good idea.

> >> that depends very much on your answer to the question of why are you
> >> doing it and what you're trying to gain / work around with vacuum full
> >> / reindex every night.
> >>

> > I have been doing this for several years. Since my database is small
> > and it takes little time to do a full vacuum. I am doing the reindex
> > because I thought that was recommended after a full vacuum.
>
> Definitely reindex after a full vacuum on previous versions (i.e.
> before 9.0) I think with 9.0 vacuum full is like a cluster without any
> reordering, so it likely doesn't need reindexing, but I've not played
> with 9.0 much yet.
>
> > As the data has grown the system is slowing down. Right now I am
> > looking at ways to improve performance without getting into the queries
> > themselves because I am swamped with new development.
>
> OK, so it's a standard maintenance procedure you've been doing for a
> while. That doesn't really explain why you started doing it, but I
> can guess that you had some bloat issues way back when and vacuum full
> fixed them, so doing it got kind of enshrined in the nightly
> maintenance.
>
> > Is doing the full vacuum and reindex hurting or helping anything?
>
> It might help a small amount if you've got regular usage patterns. If
> you routinely update whole tables over and over then it might be
> helping.
>
> > Any other quick fixes that I can try?
>
> Increasing work_mem, shared_buffers, changing random_page_cost and /
> or seq_page_cost.
>
> Log long running queries and run explain analyze on any that show up very often.
>
> But for real performance, you do often have to "get into the queries"
> because an inefficient query may be something you can cut down to
> 1/10000th the run time with a simple change, and often that change is
> impossible to make by tuning the db, only the query can be tuned. It
> might be something simple like you need to cast a type to match some
> other type. Hard to say without looking.
>
> When a 90Meg database is slow, it's almost always poorly written /
> non-optimized queries at the heart of it.

I stopped doing the nightly vacuum full and reindex. After 3 months
some queries would not complete within 2 minutes. Normally these take
less than 5 seconds. I tried vacuum without full and reindex, but the
problem was still there. Only vacuum full and reindex returned
performance to normal. Now I am back to my previous nightly full vacuum
and reindex.

Any suggestions?

--
Thank you for your time,