Re: Why is there a tsquery data type?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why is there a tsquery data type?
Date: 2007-08-29 23:26:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> By that logic, we don't need any data types other than text.

> What is tsquery giving us that text would not?

A preprocessed representation that can be compared to tsvector
efficiently.

Now, if you'd asked whether we need *both* tsvector and tsquery,
that'd be a fair question. I'm not 100% clear on what the differences
are, but they seem pretty subtle. Do you think that having only
one datatype would be clearer?